Wednesday 13 April 2011

BLITEOTW 2008

It's odd but the thing I find strangest about this whole situation is not the zombies, it's that I don't mind that I'm naked.

Pick any day in history before today and I think I'd do a lot to avoid walking through the city center without any clothes then but the crowds today, they're not like the crowds from any other day. At a glance maybe they look people, but anything more than a glance and you can see they're clearly not. For a start, they don't move right. Take a person and string up his limbs like a thunderbird. Not all of them; leave an arm or a leg hanging uselessly. Then break his neck and cut his flesh and call his mother a bitch. Broken and graceless and angry, that's how they move.

Worse than how they move is how they smell. And you can't get rid of it. The city is rotting, all of it. Not just the centre where they've gathered but everywhere they've been. Like this building; I don't think they've been here since the early hours of the morning but still I'm writing this with a cloth over my mouth so I'm not sick again. It might be how they've been following me; a trail of my vomit. Maybe I'm just being paranoid. Maybe there's just so many of them now that I can't help but keep running into them.

Zombies have risen and I'm worried I might be a little paranoid. Heh.

It could be different packs. Is packs the right word? Anyway, it could be different ones. I work at. No. I used to work at, I guess. I used to work at a cinema and it's strange how short a time you have to be there serving people before they all start to look the same. And thats when they were people with thoughts and emotions and personalities. These things are less than animals, I've no idea how anyone could hope to tell them apart.

Except when you see one you know. Knew. You recognise them and then you're sick again, cloth or no. I lost all food hours ago; it's just bile coming up now and even that's starting to run dry.

I should tell you things. Where I am now, where this all started. You might be wondering why I'm naked. You might not be there at all. Far as I know I'm the last one left. I guess I'm writing this for aliens? In the future, when they come and see a rotted planet and wonder what happened, they'll log onto my livejournal and be like "hey, check it out. More zombies. Humans this time."

No, I'm not writing this for aliens. I'm writing this because I'm sitting in someone else's living room with the curtains drawn and I heard a noise upstairs and I don't think it's one of them but I don't want to go up there to look for clothes and their internet was working but there's nothing new online so I had to write something.

I saw The Happening last night. M Night Shyamalan's latest film. Last film, I should say. It wasn't very good. It could have been scarier. God, I'd love it if this was as scary as that film. So much wasted potential. Can't stand Mark Wahlberg. Guess I should tag this 'film review', right? Anyway, on the walk back I took the quiet roads 'cause I hate the drunks along Prince of Wales. There were police and flashing lights everywhere. I figured it was just a fight that got out of hand or something, but now I'm wondering if it was the start of this. I might've heard screams or gunshots, but I don't know, that could be my memory playing tricks on me. I'm tired, by the way, and I'm really not thinking straight.

I was in the bath when I definitely heard screams. Then this thing came through the door and there was splashing and blood and water was everywhere. It was strong but it was clumsy. It slipped and hit its head but I couldn't get to my room because another one was there, so I grabbed a knife and was out the kitchen window. Running all day. They're not fast, but they don't stop.

So I headed out the city but they chased me back in. I went another way but there they were. Again and again, herding me back. I think I got past them this time. Sometimes if you hide and don't make a sound, don't even breathe, they don't notice you. Sometimes.

So I'm here at the internet, where I always end up, and I'm the last one online. It's supposed to bring the whole world closer together but when I am the whole world, there's not a lot it can do. God, I've never felt so alone.

Alone and naked.

Last post. I win.

No comments:

Post a Comment